Gold for February delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was jumping $10.30 to $1,239.70 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,245 and as low as $1,226.60 an ounce, while the spot price was increasing $13.53, or 1.1%.
Despite the immediate surge from intraday lows around $1,227 an ounce, analysts remained skeptical of gold's upside potential.
"Short covering was featured in gold and silver futures markets," Jim Wyckoff, senior analyst at Kitco.com, wrote in a note on Friday. "The gold bulls have to be at least a bit disappointed their market could not rally more in the face of such a weak employment report. Such underscores the still-very-weak technical posture of gold and silver markets."
The Labor Department said Friday that the U.S. economy added 74,000 jobs, while the unemployment rate dropped to 6.7% from a prior reading of 7%. Economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting 196,000 jobs and for the rate to remain unchanged.
A weaker jobs report often fuels a rise in gold prices as investors purchase the commodity as a hedge against central bank economic stimulus. With the Federal Reserve's policy-making tied closely to the health of the U.S. labor market, Friday's report suggests the Fed may choose to slow its pullback in stimulus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV