Kaplan Test Prep and thoughtbot are offering $2,000 scholarships for women and underrepresented minorities* who are chosen to participate in Metis, a new bootcamp for individuals interested in becoming professional Ruby on Rails web developers. The scholarship, specific to Metis students from backgrounds underrepresented in the technology sector, seeks to encourage skills training for these individuals to secure employment opportunities within the fast-growing technology sector.
While women and minorities have made tremendous strides across other industries such as law, medicine, and business, the tech sector offers another opportunity for these groups to continue breaking down barriers. A number of private and government statistics show the following:
- Women make up less than one-third of all employees in the tech sector. Tech companies employ an average of 12.33 percent female engineers. Women contribute to just 1.2 percent of open source software.
- Only four percent of people in software development, application and systems jobs are African American and five percent are Hispanic or Latino.
- Women of color represent less than three percent of the people in technology fields.
“As the technology sector continues to grow, we need to take steps to create more avenues from underrepresented demographic groups who will bring diverse ideas to continue driving the exponential economic industry growth. This scholarship is a step toward supporting a more diverse workforce,” said Jason Moss, co-founder of Metis.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts