Gold for February delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was up $3.90 to close at $1,229.40 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,230.90 and as low as $1,222.80 an ounce, while the spot price rose $2.61, or 0.21%.
Bank of America in a research note said it lowered its gold forecast by 11% to $1,150 an ounce: "While index rebalancing may support gold until 14th January, we see limited support to prices beyond that. Our continued bearish view is driven by the challenging macro-economic environment, which is best captured by rising US 10-year rates and a persistent lack of inflation pressures."
Barclays said in a research note that gold would test 2010 lows during 2014: "Absent a shift in sentiment, we believe risks are skewed to the downside given the potential for hedging; slowing physical demand; and, most important, a macro backdrop of modest growth, fewer tail risks, and a stronger dollar increasing the scope for further disinvestment."Silver prices for March delivery settled up 14 cents to $19.68, while the U.S. dollar index was down 0.09% to $81.00. Gold miners were mostly lower on Thursday. Shares of Randgold Resources (GOLD) were off 3.3% to $59.26. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was up 0.31% to $118.48. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV