NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Regions Financial (RF) climbed 1.2% to $10.38 by mid-afternoon Thursday. Late last week, the Alabama-based bank received a Deutsche Bank upgrade to "buy" from "hold" and its target price was increased to $12 from $10.
"While we don't expect short-term rates to rise for a while, RF is one of the most levered to rising interest rates in general and trades well below similar asset sensitive banks," analyst Matthew O'Connor wrote in the report.
TheStreet Ratings team reiterates REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. The team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP (RF) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, RF's share price has jumped by 35.29%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 92.56%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, RF's net profit margin of 20.76% significantly trails the industry average.
- REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP's earnings per share declined by 9.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.75 versus -$0.02 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.81 versus $0.75).
- RF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV