[video] Quick Take: Jobless Claims Fall, Sets Stage for December Jobs Report
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jobless claims fell by 15,000 to 330,000 for the week ending Jan. 4, the best reading in the past month, which pulled the four-week average down to 349,000, TheStreet's Joe Deaux reported.
John Manley, chief equity strategist at Wells Fargo Funds Management, said the report was pretty good but not great. He added that it's a positive to see jobs are still being created.
On Friday, investors will find out exactly how many jobs were added to the economy in December. Deaux said economists see 196,000 jobs added while the unemployment rate remains unchanged at 7%.
Manley said the market could be getting set up for a pretty good situation heading into Friday's report. The economy and employment situation are improving while sales and revenue are rising.When all four scenarios are combined with a very accommodative Federal Reserve, it bodes well for the stock market, he concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV