Five Also-Ran Surprises
Also-Ran Surprise No. 1: Changes seen at CNBC, NBC, CNN and Fox Business.
- Michelle Caruso-Cabrera joins Fox Business as the morning anchor.
- Erin Burnett (congratulations on your new baby boy!) leaves CNN and rejoins CNBC.
- Carl Quintanilla leaves CNBC and permanently joins NBC's "The Today Show."
Also-Ran Surprise No. 2: Crude oil trades at $75 a barrel.A quiescent period of Middle East peace, more U.S. energy discoveries (and an increased pace of energy independence) and slowing global economic growth adversely impact energy prices. Strategy: Short crude oil and energy stocks. Also-Ran Surprise No. 3: Despite lower stock prices the VIX trades under 10. Strategy: Short VIX Also-Ran Surprise No. 4: Gold trades under $1,000 an ounce. Strategy: Short SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) and gold miner shares Also-Ran Surprise No. 5: Carl Icahn's fund loses 15% to 20%. He is only human. Strategy: None.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 9:18 a.m. EST on Jan. 6.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV