Citigroup Inc (C) is reportedly considering selling its $1 billion stake in a private equity fund to conform with the Volcker Rule.
Citigroup's reported sale relates to its stake in funds managed by Citi Venture Capital International, a private-equity manager that Citigroup Inc (C) sold to Rohatyn Group in December.
Volcker Rule caps
The Volcker Rule, a centerpiece of the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial-overhaul legislation, was approved by government agencies last month. The rule prohibits banks from owning more than 3% of a hedge fund or private equity portfolio.Last November, Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS)'s CEO Lloyd Blankfein announced that the firm would begin winding down hedge funds to comply with the Volcker Rule.
Citigroup and other banks shedding assetsLast year Citigroup Inc (C) sold the Citi Venture Capital International private equity fund valued at $4.3 billion to the Rohatyn Group for an unknown price. Citigroup also sold its $1.9 billion EM hedge fund last year. According to Sabrina Willmer and Kiel Porter of Bloomberg, Citigroup Inc (C) sold its Metalmark Capital private-equity business last year and spun out its internal hedge fund unit, renamed Napier Park Global Capital, to conform to the Volcker Rule. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), too, sold One Equity Partners, its hedge fund operation with $4.5 billion AUM, to the fund management and Bank of America Corp (BAC) sold funds in 2011 and 2010 worth $5 billion and $1.4 billion respectively. Shayndi Raice of The Wall Street Journal points out that Citigroup Inc (C) shed $8.5 billion in private-equity holdings last year alone. Interestingly, Citigroup executives have acknowledged for some time that they will need to sell the stake or ask for an extension to comply with the Volcker rule.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV