5 Predictions for 2014 From a Wall Street Insider
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Pundits love predictions, and we like listening -- as long as the experts hit the mark with solid research.
So let's give the floor to Chicago's Nuveen Asset Management and its chief equity strategist, Robert C. Doll, as he canvasses the economy and offers some hard-hitting predictions for the new year.
If Doll is right, it could translate into a good one for bank savers and retirement investors. If not, well, we'll wait until 2015 to take Doll to task. (In Doll's 2013 predictions, he called a slow-growing economy, held back by higher taxes and weaker government spending from the sequestration, and a fast-rising stock market -- on the mark for 2013.)
Here are five of Doll's predictions for the economy, investors and personal finance consumers this year:inflation rate -- steady at 1.2% right now, to remain low. That should keep the costs of many goods lower, as prices are linked strongly to inflation. But in 2015, that scenario should change. "While no significant rise in inflation is likely, it is also likely that by the end of 2014, it will be clear inflation has made a bottom," he predicts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV