NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The trucking industry is a minefield of companies going broke and rolling over. One example is Yellow Freight, now part of YRC Worldwide (YRCW).
But one company that hasn't stopped trucking just yet is Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL) of Thomasville, N.C., which I wrote about back in September.
Data from Best Stocks Now App
Not only was ODFL one of my top stocks in 2013, it was recently awarded "Fleet of the Year." But this recent award is not why I'm tooting ODFL's horn yet again. It's because the stock is hitting new highs again.
ODFL is a $4.6 billion mid-cap growth company. It started out in 1934 with only one truck making deliveries between Richmond and Norfolk, Va. Today ODFL has more than 30,000 tractors and trailers as well as nearly 13,000 employees all across the country.Performance
Data from Best Stocks Now App Over the past 10 years ODFL has delivered more than 30% to investors. Over the last five years it has delivered 40% while during that same timeframe the market has returned a measly 5%. That even takes into account the year 2008. How could a stock possibly make 40% returns even accounting for 2008?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV