'Fast Money' Recap: Jumping Into Retail
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 barely closed higher Thursday. On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, the traders were jumping into the retail trade.
Josh Brown, CEO and co-founder of Ritholtz Wealth Management, said Sears Holdings (SHLD) has been in bad shape for years. He said the management is a mess and the technicals are terrible.
Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, suggested investors think twice about shorting the stock since the short interest is already very high.
Brian Kelly, founder of Brian Kelly Capital, said he would buy Family Dollar Stores (FDO) as a trade after it sold off on Thursday due to its earnings report.
Dana Telsey, CEO and chief research officer of Telsey Advisory Group, was a guest on the show. Overall, the holiday season was disappointing and traffic was weak, she said. Urban Outfitters (URBN) is one of her top picks for 2014. She added that TJX Companies (TJX) could benefit from unsold inventory at other retailers.
Steve Grasso, director of institutional sales at Stuart Frankel & Company, said Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) has resistance near $38 to $40, but could increase as much as $20 per share from current levels. He added that URBN could have up to $7 per share in upside.Adami said he would not sell ANF and said it could move above $40. Brown likes Finish Line (FINL) because it is cheap on a cash-flow-to-enterprise-value basis. He added that each pullback has been greeted by buyers. Kelly revealed his new short position: Europe. He did so by shorting the Eurostoxx 50 futures. He reasoned that the economies are beginning to slow and the stocks are overextended. He added that a slowdown in China would hurt Europe since it is Europe's biggest customer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV