NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- From the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, TheStreet's Jim Cramer is taking a look at frequently discussed stocks J.C. Penney (JCP), Micron (MU) and The Container Store (TCS).
Cramer said shares of JCP are lower simply because they've gone up too much. Cramer also said there hasn't been any good news for the stock, and he advised caution when it comes to investing in mall-based retailers.
He highlighted a letter that Starbucks (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz wrote, suggesting that mall-based retailers would be hurt by the decline in foot traffic.
Elsewhere, Micron has purchased Elpida, a failed Japanese company comprised of three large DRAM suppliers. Cramer said that now there is basically a duopoly between MU and Hynix.
As supply remains tight and demand high, MU can still raise prices. Cramer said he's "always concerned" when stocks rise a lot. In Micron's case, it's trading at nearly $24, just 14 months after it was changing hands for only about $5.
Lastly, Cramer took a look at The Container Store, which is down about 13% on Wednesday.He called the stock "wildly overvalued" compared to other retailers he follows.
He said he doesn't think the company went public at its business peak even though other people think so. Cramer concluded that selloffs like these happen when an IPO is overhyped and fails to deliver solid results. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV