And those commercial banks that have been verbally slamming gold -- it turns out many are not as negative as it might seem
- Goldman Sachs (GS) proved itself to be one of the biggest hypocrites: while advising clients to sell gold and buy Treasuries in Q2 2013, it bought a stunning (and record) 3.7 million shares of GLD. And when Venezuela decided to raise cash by pawning its gold, guess who jumped in to handle the transaction? Yes, they claim the price will fall this year, but with such a slippery track record, it's important to watch what they do and not what they say.
- Societe Generale Strategist Albert Edwards says gold will top $10,000 per ounce (with the S&P 500 Index tumbling to 450 and Treasuries yielding less than 1%).
- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) went on record in August recommending clients "position for a short-term bounce in gold." Gold's price resistance to Paulson & Co. cutting its gold exposure, along with growing physical gold demand in Asia, were cited among the main reasons.
- ScotiaMocatta's Sunil Kashyap said that despite the selloff, there's still significant physical demand for gold, especially from India and China, which "supports prices."
- Commerzbank calls for the gold price to enter a boom period this year. Based on investment demand from Asian countriesChina and India in particularthe bank predicted the yellow metal will rise to $1,400 by the end of 2014.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, in spite of lower price forecasts for gold this year, reiterated they remain "longer-term bulls."
- Citibank's top technical analyst Tom Fitzpatrick stated gold could head to $3,500. "We believe we are back into that track where gold is the hard currency of choice, and we expect for this trend to accelerate going forward."
None of these parties thinks the gold bull market is over. What they care about is safety in this uncertain environment, as well as what they see as enormous potential upside.
In the end, the much-ridiculed goldbugs will have had the last laugh.
We can speculate about when the next uptrend in gold will set in, but the action for today is to take advantage of price weakness. Learn about the best gold producers to invest in -- now at bargain-basement prices. Try BIG GOLD for three months, risk-free, with 100% money-back guarantee. Click here to get started.