Home appliance, industrial motor and smart meter applications require solutions that provide low standby power in order to achieve energy efficiency for the end user. At the same time, designers need power scalability to increase the power rating of a device for additional system functionality while simplifying designs. To meet this challenge, Fairchild Semiconductor developed the FSL306 and FSL336 650 V Green Mode AC Buck Switches.
These devices offer burst-mode operation with the low available operating current (250 µA) that helps to reduce standby mode power consumption for increased energy efficiency. Power scalability from 0.5 W to 3 W (FSL306) through the adjustable current limit pin helps simplify designs and reduce design time.
The FSL306 and FSL336 provide higher reliability through rich protection features, such as a Safe Auto Restart Mode. After a fault condition, the switch waits 650 ms before restarting. This feature reduces the stress on the system during a long-term fault, improving system reliability.
These devices combine a PWM controller and a discrete MOSFET in a single package. A high-voltage regulator enables operation without the need for an auxiliary bias winding. Using a built-in error amplifier, the FSL306 and FSL336 provide direct feedback without a shunt regulator. This helps to reduce the overall bill of material cost while saving board space.“Our customers are searching for higher power for their designs because of the added smart functionality and relay functions in their systems,” JaeKuk Ryu, Fairchild’s Home Appliance and Industrial Power Product Line Marketing Manager, said. “To address this, we developed a higher power buck switch that has the lowest R DS(ON) available. The FSL336 features an industry-leading R DS(ON) of 4 Ω , which in turn enables our customers to provide the most energy efficient solutions to their end-users.” Features and Benefits:
- Built-in avalanche rated 650 V SenseFET; higher avalanche energy at breakdown mode due to vertical DMOS technology
- Power scalability from 0.5 W to 3 W (FSL306) by using I limit adjustable function pin
- No-load power consumption: 25 mW at 230 V AC with external bias; 120 mW at 230 V AC without external bias
- No need for auxiliary bias winding
- Ultra-low operating current – 250 µA – reduces standby power consumption
- Fixed 650 ms restart time for safe auto-restart mode of all protection features
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts