Monsanto Company’s (NYSE: MON) annual research and development update marks the company’s largest advancement of products to date. The agricultural company announced today a record 29 products progressed in its pipeline with five of those headed to the commercial marketplace. Monsanto’s advancements include products across all of its platforms, including breeding, biotechnology, and new technology areas such as Integrated Farming Systems ® and agricultural biologicals.
“Monsanto’s annual pipeline update provides a window into agriculture’s future – and, specifically, how breeding, biotechnology, biologicals and improved agronomics can meet the challenges of feeding a growing planet while using resources more efficiently,” said Robb Fraley, Ph.D., Monsanto’s chief technology officer. “From rural communities in America, to the plains of Sub-Saharan Africa, our scientists and breeders are working to provide farmers with innovations that can help them get the most out of every acre. I am particularly proud as this year’s advancements highlight the breadth of our R&D efforts and the truly integrated approach we are taking in order to deliver a total system of solutions that can offer additional choice for our farmer customers.”
- Nearly 30 of the company’s more than 70 pipeline projects advanced phases this year.
- A record five products graduated from the pipeline, including Intacta RR2 PRO ™ soybeans, FieldScripts ® variable rate seeding in corn and Root-Knot Nematode Resistance within the cotton breeding pipeline.
- Some of the most breakthrough progress was delivered from the company’s newest technology platforms, including more than 10 advancements across its Integrated Farming Systems ® and agricultural biologicals platforms.
- In addition to the 29 project advancements, Monsanto will have three projects in its Ground Breakers ® on-farm testing program this year. Projects include Vistive ® Gold soybeans, Roundup Ready 2 Xtend ™ soybeans and Bollgard ® II XtendFlex ™ cotton.
“Monsanto is headed in the right direction with science-based approaches and new technologies for farmers,” said Jeff Frank, a FieldScripts ® Ground Breakers ® farmer in Auburn, Iowa. “The data driven, scientific technologies Monsanto is developing are things we’ve never had before. As farmers, we have to take advantage of any opportunity we can to increase our yield potential. If we don’t think progressively, we won’t grow enough crops to feed a growing planet.”Biotechnology Platform Monsanto has a pipeline of biotechnology projects in development, including next-generation insect control and herbicide tolerance agronomic trait projects as well as yield and stress work in collaboration with BASF Plant Science. This year’s nine biotechnology advancements include the launch of Intacta RR2 PRO ™ soybeans and next-generation products like SmartStax ® PRO corn (formally Corn Rootworm III), Second-Generation Intacta RR2 PRO soybeans, Third-Generation Herbicide Tolerant soybeans and Bollgard ® III cotton. Breeding Platform In addition to annual germplasm improvements, this year’s breeding pipeline advanced seven projects within the industry’s most-advanced disease resistance breeding program. Project highlights include enhanced resistance to Anthracnose Stalk Rot and Gray Leaf Spot in corn and Soybean Cyst Nematode, as well as Phytophthora Resistant Peppers, Bacterial Wilt Resistant Tomatoes and Downy Mildew Resistant Lettuce.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts