Surprise No. 9: Bitcoin becomes a roller coaster.
Bitcoin scores acceptance as a virtual currency from Amazon and eBay (EBAY) in early 2014 and climbs to over $7,500 in value by midyear.
The Winklevoss twins make nearly $350 million on paper from their investment in bitcoin. (Boca Biff, also mega long bitcoin, bids for the Boca Raton Hotel, which is across the street from his home in Boca Raton, Florida.)
Just at the time that bitcoin begins gaining legitimacy as a currency, improprieties in the calculation of the supply of bitcoins are found. A fraudulent double-spend attack wreaks havoc and significantly disrupts the bitcoin market. At the same time, a selfish miner (who does not release solutions to solved cryptopuzzles and minds a branch in secret) successfully attacks the bitcoin system and gains control of over 55% of the total network hashing power.The value of bitcoin falls by nearly 70% in a two-week period and closes back under $1,000 by year-end. Several momentum-based hedge funds that got long fail spectacularly. Strategy: Buy and then short bitcoins
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV