Real Estate Expectations for 2014: Higher Home Prices, Better Time to Sell
It's all about how homebuyers and sellers will manage expectations as the new year unfolds. Right now, the outlook is rosy for the real estate market, according to Fannie Mae evidence in its most recent Monthly National Housing Survey, which shows the market recovery is on "firm footing" as more consumers buy into the notion that home values will keep rising throughout 2014.
With consumer sentiment up on housing, demand grows for more money to buy and refinance new homes and remodel existing ones. That leads more banks and lenders to ease credit restrictions and funnel more cash into an already expanding housing sector.
There is a downside.With more Americans looking for loans to buy and remodel, banks can drive up interest rates, knowing the demand is strong enough to warrant another 0.25 to 0.50 basis points on loan interest. But in a healthy economy -- although nobody is saying we're there yet consumers historically shrug over higher rates and dive into the credit markets, anyway.
- 49% of U.S. adults say home prices will rise throughout 2014, up from 43% in December 2012.
- Consumers have also upped their outlook on just how much their home values will rise this year, to 3.2% from 2.6% in 2012.
- The number of Americans who believe it's a good time to sell their homes took a sharp turn upward, according to Fannie Mae, with 33% of U.S. homeowners saying it's a good time to sell their homes up from 21% a year ago.
- Buying a home should be easier, too. Half of the survey respondents say it will "be easier to get a home mortgage today," compared with 45% in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV