NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla (TSLA - Get Report) and AT&T (T - Get Report) announced a new partnership on Tuesday that will bring the carrier's wireless connectivity to current and upcoming electric cars.
Tesla gained 0.7% to $148.01, and AT&T rose 0.1% to $34.98 on Tuesday.
Under the new partnership AT&T wireless data will power Tesla's remote engine diagnostics and telemetrics. The carrier's network will also let drivers access Internet radio, live traffic, weather, and navigation through the car's 17-inch touchscreen.
The two companies signed a multi-year deal to bring wireless data to the cars, though the press release doesn't say exactly how long the deal will last.In addition to the Tesla partnership AT&T announced a new "connected car innovation center" in Atlanta it calls the AT&T Drive Studio and a "global automotive solution and development platform" called AT&T Drive. TheStreet Ratings team rates Tesla as a "sell" with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TESLA MOTORS INC (TSLA) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.20 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, TSLA maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.72, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for TESLA MOTORS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.44%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TSLA's net profit margin of -8.92% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Compared to other companies in the Automobiles industry and the overall market, TESLA MOTORS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- TESLA MOTORS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TESLA MOTORS INC reported poor results of -$3.70 versus -$2.52 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.57 versus -$3.70).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Automobiles industry. The net income increased by 65.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$110.81 million to -$38.50 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSLA Ratings Report