NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- The
S&P 500 closed flat Wednesday after moving in and out of positive and negative territory throughout the day.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, guest Carter Braxton Worth, chief market technician and managing director at Oppenheimer & Company, said the S&P 500 is now lower by 0.6% through the first five trading days of the year. Based on historical price action, there is a 60% chance January will end in negative territory since its first five trading days were negative, he said.
Worth added that when the month of January is positive, returns in February through December are up on average 8.65%. When January is negative for the month, the return in February through December only averages 1.65%, he added.
Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, said he is still looking for a pullback to the 1,750 level in the S&P 500.Shares of Twitter (TWTR) were lower on Wednesday from another downgrade. Tim Seymour, managing partner of Triogem Asset Management, said the stock is overvalued compared to its peers. A lot of stock will come to the market in February and May when the current share lockup plans expire. Jon Najarian, co-founder of optionmonster.com and trademonster.com, said investors might get a buying opportunity when TWTR reports at the end of the month. Adami suggested that investors could buy the stock as a trade after Wednesday's selloff. Seymour said to buy China Eastern Airlines (CEA) and China Southern Airlines (ZNH). Travel is "booming" in the region and these companies have solid exposure and cheap valuations, he added. Adami said he would continue to own Cern (CERN), which has traded well even after some "dicey" earnings reports -- which he considered a good thing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV