While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." NGP Capital Resources Company (NASDAQ: NGPC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.50%. NGP Capital Resources Company is a business development company specializing in investments in small and mid size and middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 189.00. The average volume for NGP Capital Resources Company has been 61,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. NGP Capital Resources Company has a market cap of $155.0 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 0.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates NGP Capital Resources Company as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO is rather high; currently it is at 55.30%. Regardless of NGPC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NGPC's net profit margin of 84.66% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 102.72% to $2.40 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 102.72%, NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 273.60%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 58.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $12.23 million to $5.05 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, NGP CAPITAL RESOURCES CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full NGP Capital Resources Company Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.