Market Hustle: Stock Futures Rise on Better Trade, Eurozone Data
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures were higher Wednesday as trade data and gains in offshore markets bolstered sentiment.
Eurozone inflation and German unemployment fell unexpectedly in December. The former fell to 0.8% year on year while German unemployment fell by 15,000 to 2.965 million against expectations for no change. Low inflation is seen to put pressure on the ECB to respond with stimulus. The region's central bank meets Thursday
Several Fed speeches are due Tuesday: Boston Fed President Eric Rosengren will speak on the economic outlook in Connecticut at 8:30 a.m., while San Francisco Fed President John Williams speak on the economy and monetary policy in Arizona at 2:10 p.m.
Major U.S. markets closed lower Monday after data showed that service industries had expanded by less than expected.
Lockhead Martin (LMT), Bank of America (BAC)and Alcoa (AA) were all premarket movers, up between 1.1% to 0.76%. Convergys (CVG) shares rose 20% in after-hours trading Monday after company management said it would buy Stream Global Services for $820 million in cash.
Major world markets were mostly higher. The Hang Seng finished up 0.13% while Japan's Nikkei was off 0.59% due to ongoing yen strength. Germany's DAX was rising 0.56% while the FTSE was 0.38% higher.
Janet Yellen was approved by the Senate on Monday as the first chairwoman of the Federal Reserve in a 56-26 vote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV