#DigitalSkeptic: CES Speaker Maker Soundfreaq Hits Its Target With Collaborative Manufacturing
"Factories are learning the inner details of making high-quality product," Paprocki said. "The key is accepting that expertise and structuring your business so it takes advantage of that knowledge."
Paprocki's model essentially recasts 21st century product design and retailing, where prosperity comes at your partner's expense, to a more symbiotic relationship with factories and even retailers that play an active role. It works also for more complex products, such as the SFQ-01 sound platform with sophisticated network-enabled audio for a reasonable $199.
"If you accept that you really are partners with your factory and your sales channel, it opens up a new consumer tech design process that's fast, lean and creates unique products," he said.
Design, make and selling all at once
The investor wisdom packed into Paprocki's holistic worldview is obvious as he described how he and his firm dreamed up the Sound Rise. By staying in touch with his factories, Paprocki realized it would be cheaper and easier to stack speakers vertically into their units. That gave the unexpected bonus of raising the alarm clock off the desktop, perfect for sleepy morning eyes. Next, though he experimented with using touch-only controls a la the iPhone, his retail partner told him that was a mistake. Consumers have no interest in exploring the cutting edge of product interfaces first thing in the day -- it is good, old-fashioned, solid buttons they crave.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV