But what the banks really want to see is a parallel rise in interest rates, which will require the Fed to raise the short-term federal funds rate, which has been locked in a target range of zero to 0.25% since late 2008. The federal open market committee his said repeatedly that it expects this "highly accomodative" policy to remain in place at least until the U.S. unemployment rate drops below 6.5%. The unemployment rate improved to 7.0% in December from 7.3% in November.
The following chart shows the performance of Regions Financial's stock over the past 12 months against the KBW Bank Index and the S&P 500:
RF data by YCharts
>Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV