Surprise No. 5: A number of major surprises affect individual stocks and sectors.
- Citigroup outperforms Bank of America (BAC).
- Starbucks (SBUX) shares fall by 25% as consumers (finally) balk at the company's expensive product offerings.
- 3-D printing stocks halve in price.
- Apple's shares drop back under $500 a share, never breaching $600 to the upside and spending most of the year under $525 a share as profit estimates are again shaved. (Icahn dumps the shares; see more on Icahn in also-ran surprises.)
- Amazon (AMZN) reports a huge earnings beat in the first half of 2014 -- the shares trade over $550 a share and are a standout in the moribund high-beta, speculative sector.
- Goldman Sachs (GS) goes private (a previous-year surprise).
- My "stock of the decade," Altisource Asset Management, doubles in price to $2,000 a share after rising by 1,200% in 2013.
- My 2014 "stock of the year," Monitise (MONI.L/MONIF), triples in price (after doubling last year).
- The latest hedge fund hotel, General Motors (GM), drops by 20% in 2014 as automobile sales stall.
- Consumer staples and master limited partnerships are among the top performing sectors.
- Retailers, transportation and housing shares are among the bottom performing sectors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV