Surprise No. 4: Bonds outperform stocks.
Bonds outperform stocks in 2014.
Against the backdrop of a decline of between 5% and 15% in the U.S. stock market, the return on long-dated, taxable U.S. bonds is close to +10%.
Interest rates decline from 2013's year-end levels. The yield on the 10-year U.S. note ends the year between 2.5% and 3.0%.Closed-end municipal bond funds are among the best asset classes during the year, achieving a total return of about 15% in 2014. Strategy: Buy iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT), PowerShares Build America Bond Portfolio (BAB), BlackRock Municipal Target Term Trust (BTT), Eaton Vance Municipal Income Term Trust (ETX), BlackRock Investment Quality Municipal Trust (BKN), Nuveen Select Quality Municipal Fund (NQS), Nuveen Premium Income Municipal Fund II (NPM), Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Fund (NAD), Nuveen Municipal Market Opportunity Fund (NMO), Nuveen Municipal Advantage Fund (NMA), Invesco Pennsylvania Value Municipal Income Trust (VPV), Invesco California Value Municipal Income Trust (VCV), Nuveen Quality Income Municipal Fund (NQU), Nuveen Premium Income Municipal Fund (NPI) and Nuveen New York AMT-Free Municipal Income Fund (NRK).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV