On Monday, Citi got a pair of price target hikes from two veteran analysts. Sandler O'Neill's Jeff Harte and Barclays Capital's Jason Goldberg. Goldberg also hiked target prices on other big banks, including Wells Fargo (WFC), US Bancorp (USB), Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), while lifting both his recommendation and price target on Huntington Bancshares (HBAN). Harte, on the other hand, just focused on Citi.
Harte raised his target on Citigroup to $60 from $56, while Goldberg upped his target to $60 from $58, according to Bloomberg data. The accompanying reports could not be obtained. Citigroup shares were up by 0.75% to $53.80 in early trading on Monday, while shares of other big banks, including JPMorgan and Bank of America showed similar gains.
But Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor came out with a report on Monday citing Citi, along with JPMorgan and Morgan Stanley (MS), as the bank stock where he was furthest below consensus in his fourth quarter earnings projections. In all three cases, O'Connor predicts litigation costs and weak trading in the fixed income currencies and commodities divisions will cause a bigger drag on earnings than analysts are already expecting.O'Connor sees Citi earning just $0.92 per share, vs. a Bloomberg consensus of $1.05 and a Thomson Reuters consensus of $1.06. Citigroup will report earnings ahead of the bell on Jan. 16.
^SPX data by YCharts -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV