- Builds on successful deployment of current ST ARM-based SoCs, including its 'Cannes,' 'Monaco,' and 'Alicante' product families
- Leverages latest 64-bit ARM cores to support the increasing performance and memory requirements of future SoCs
GENEVA, Jan. 6, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications and a leading manufacturer of High-Definition (HD) and Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) set-top-box ICs, has released details of its innovative STi8K(TM) architecture addressing future Systems-on-Chips (SoCs) for the Digital Home.
Based on the latest ARMv8-A cores, STi8K(TM) SoCs will further enhance the available Cannes/STiH3 (FHD /UHD HEVC Client-Box), Monaco/STiH4 (FHD/UHD HEVC Server/Gateways), and Alicante/STiD12 (DOCSIS ®) product families, providing, in combination with them, a smooth and future-proof industry transition from 32-bit to 64-bit computing.
"The consumer industry has initiated the transition from 32- to 64-bit computing in the mobile market," said Gian Luca Bertino, Executive Vice President and General Manager Digital Convergence Group, STMicroelectronics. "New upcoming, highly demanding technologies, such as DOCSIS 3.1 or full-featured 10-bit High-Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) in Ultra High Definition at 60 frames per second, will drive this same transition in the Digital Home market. We have already built a solid, fast time-to-market and future-proof foundation with our Cannes, Monaco, and Alicante families; our new STi8K architecture is the next evolutionary step for our winning product families and brings 64-bit computing to the digital home."Optimized for ST's 28nm Fully Depleted Silicon-On-Insulator (FD-SOI) and smaller-geometry manufacturing processes, the STi8K(TM) architecture leverages the increased data throughput, the extended memory addressing, and the reduced power consumption of the latest ARM ® Cortex (TM)-A53 and Cortex (TM)-A57 64-bit processor technology, combining high performance and reliability with outstanding energy efficiency to meet end-user and eco-design requirements, such as the US Energy Star and the EU's EuP (Energy using Products) directive. Tom Cronk, Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations, at ARM added, "We share ST's vision for the future of the digital home market. Full-color Ultra HD applications together with ultra-high bandwidth home-network-access systems made possible with DOCSIS 3.1 technologies will transform the home-entertainment experience. Our long-term collaboration with ST, including its recent integration of our latest 64-bit processors, together with our mutual investment in software-ecosystem development, for example through Linaro, are key building blocks that will help make more advanced and immersive media experiences a reality.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV