Here are 10 things you should know for Tuesday, Jan. 7:
1.-- U.S. stock futures were rising and European shares were posting gains early Tuesday, but stocks in Japan declined on the continued strength of the yen.
Japan's Nikkei 225 index fell 0.6% on Tuesday. Hong Kong's Hang Seng index rose 0.1%.
2.-- The economic calendar in the U.S. Tuesday includes the trade balance for November at 8:30 a.m. EST.
3.-- U.S. stocks on Monday declined as investors sold shares on signs of economic softness while digesting mixed growth signals from China.
The S&P 500 fell 0.25% to close at 1,826.77, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.27% to finish at 16,425.10. The Nasdaq closed 0.44% lower at 4,113.68.
4.-- The Senate confirmed Janet Yellen on Monday as the first woman to lead the Federal Reserve.
Yellen, 67 years old, will replace Ben Bernanke, who is stepping down after serving as chairman of the central bank for eight years. Yellen will begin her term on Feb. 1.
Senators confirmed Yellen by 56-26, with numerous absences because of bad weather around much of the U.S. The Associated Press reported. All 45 voting Democrats were joined by 11 Republicans in supporting Yellen, while 26 Republicans voted "no."
7.-- Samsung's earnings fell for the first time in two years as sales of smartphones and tablets slowed in developed countries.
9.-- Two bosses at Goodyear (GT) are being held captive by workers inside a tire factory in northern France that the company wants to close.
10.-- Top-ranked Florida State beat Auburn in the final seconds of the BCS championship game on Monday night
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV