Kerry Suggests Role for Iran in Syria Talks
JERUSALEM (TheStreet) -- Secretary of State John F. Kerry suggested Sunday that Iran could participate in peace talks on Syria from the sidelines, according to published media reports.
His comments were the first by a U.S. official indicating Iran might play some role in the talks, which are scheduled for Jan. 22 in Geneva.
Previously, the Obama administration had opposed any Iranian participation unless Tehran agreed to the ground rules of the conference, The Washington Post reported.
"Well, Iran could participate very easily if they would simply accept publicly the Geneva I premise on which Geneva II is based...which calls for a transition government," Mr. Kerry was quoted saying by The Wall Street Journal. "Now, could they contribute from the sidelines? Are there ways for them conceivably to weigh in? Can their mission that is already in Geneva be there in order to help the process? It may be that there are ways that that could happen."Until now, the U.S. had joined France and Saudi Arabia in objecting to Iran's participation in the talks, while Russia and the United Nations' special envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, had supported Iran's presence, The Wall Street Journal noted. Kerry added that the U.S. still insisted upon all conference participants agreeing that the goal of the talks will be a framework for a transitional entity in Syria, The Washington Post reported. Kerry was speaking during a conference in Israel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV