NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors lapped up shares of Yahoo! (YHOO) in 2013 like pudding on Scooby Doo's nose. The key justification and catalyst propelling Yahoo!'s stock to new 52-week highs may surprise you, but it's the reason I became extremely positive on this one.
After analyzing the income and balance sheets, I couldn't help but subscribe to the bull thesis; from the time I wrote Yahoo! was a buy in "Yahoo! has room to grow," shares increased significantly.
With shares trading near $39.50, is it time to take the money and run? I don't think so, and I'm not alone. TheStreet's Chris Laudani arrived at the same conclusion in a Real Money piece earlier this week. With that said, hedging while the stock and market are at all-time highs isn't crazy either. I will show you how to hedge your position or gain new exposure using options that will help temper your risk.
First, let's take a look under the hood and see why Yahoo! shareholders are walking around grinning ear to ear.
Thanks to co-founder and former CEO Jerry Yang's fruitful investments, Yahoo! may encompass more with hedge funds than technology companies. The company's investments in Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan account for almost all the stock appreciation in 2013. That's right; Marissa Mayer, the latest and I think the greatest in a series of CEOs hasn't added much if any new value....yet.
Of the $40 billion in current market cap, about 55% or more derives from Asian investments. Many investors are expecting Alibaba to go public this year and Yahoo! has about a 24% interest. Yahoo! is expected to sell about 40% of its stake because of agreements with Alibaba. Yahoo! already sold about half its interest back to Alibaba for $6.3 billion in cash. The money from the sale is fueling Mayer's buying spree to acquire new Internet assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV