Updated from 12:43 p.m. ET with settlement prices
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices gained for a second consecutive day to begin 2014 as investors appear to view the yellow metal as oversold and ripe for a rebound.
Gold for February delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange climbed $13.40 to $1,238.60 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,239.60 and as low as $1,221.30 an ounce, while the spot price was adding $12.07, or 0.98%.
"We're still fairly thin, we're not at full bore, yet, in volume in the markets," Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco, said in an interview. "I'd like to see this momentum carry into next week when everybody's back and fully operational."Gold futures lost more than 28% in 2013, the largest drop since 1981 and the first yearly loss since 2000, as investors rotated into the stock market, which popped 30% last year. The Federal Reserve's announcement in December that it would scale back its economic stimulus program concluded a year-long worry among gold investors that the central bank would eventually slow down monetary stimulus, which many market participants have viewed as an anti-inflationary policy. Some investors use gold as an asset hedge against inflation. Silver prices for March delivery tacked on 8 cents to close at $20.21, while the U.S. dollar index was climbing 0.2% to $80.75. Gold mining stocks were mixed on Friday. Kinross Gold (KGC) was among the top performers in the sector as shares rose 2% to $4.57, while Randgold Resources (GOLD) was one of the biggest laggards, dropping 2.5% to $63.59. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was increasing 1.2% to $119.41, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was up 1.1% to $12.01. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV