NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX), Micron (MU), Best Buy (BBY), Delta Air Lines (DAL), and E-Trade Financial (ETFC) were the top-five S&P 500 stocks in 2013. Can they repeat in 2014? TheStreet's Jim Cramer detailed each stocks' chance at success for the new year.
Cramer said Netflix could repeat its 2013 performance if it can continue to rapidly grow its subscriber base and raise its prices slightly higher. The stock only has a market cap of $22 billion and he suggested it should be larger than that. Cramer also speculated that it would still be a good acquisition target for Microsoft (MSFT).
Turning to Micron, he questioned why analysts would downgrade the stock when its earnings have been so strong. However, he worries about MU because of potential increases of DRAM supply. That would lower pricing and negatively affect the company.
Part of what helped Best Buy have a terrific 2013 was its dismal performance in 2012, Cramer said. The stock has a buy rating from nearly every analyst, which makes Cramer cautious on the stock.Cramer said BBY can resume its move higher after it consolidates a bit. Keys for success include the new CEO, closing underperforming stores and lowering prices. Shares of Delta are higher on Friday and can likely be attributed to the falling price of crude oil, Cramer said. However, shares should be going up on other news. Cramer thinks DAL could be the strongest of these five stocks in 2014 based on rising fares and strong management. He said the airline is one of the main beneficiaries of the American Airlines-U.S. Airways merger to form American Airlines Group (AAL). Last but not least, Cramer said investors who like E-Trade Financial should love Knight Capital Group Holdings (KCG). -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV