Trade-Ideas: Exelon (EXC) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
- EXC has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.62 mentions/day.
- EXC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $186.9 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EXC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EXC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on EXC: Exelon Corporation, a utility services holding company, engages in the energy generation and distribution business in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.5%. EXC has a PE ratio of 14.7. Currently there are no analysts that rate Exelon a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Exelon has been 8.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Exelon has a market cap of $23.5 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.23 and a short float of 4.9% with 5.89 days to cover. Shares are down 0.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Exelon as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income increased by 149.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $296.00 million to $738.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.93, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.77 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The gross profit margin for EXELON CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 28.22%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.35% trails the industry average.
- EXC has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 6.69% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full Exelon Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV