The video this transcript is based on appeared on January 3.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. markets opened Friday's session in the green following on the heels of gains in Europe earlier in the morning, while cybersecurity company FireEye (FEYE) says it has agreed to acquire Madiant for $1B in cash and stock.
A good Friday morning to you. The northeast is dealing with a massive storm today that has cancelled flights, closed roadways and shut down schools and government offices in the northeast and Midwest. Despite the bad weather, traders are seeing some optimism here on Wall Street: all of the major markets are higher today after Thursday's down day. Here's a quick look at what we're following for you today.
Shares of computer security firm Fireye are up more than twenty percent after announcing that it had acquired cyber-forensics firm Mandiant in a deal worth about $1 billion. The deal could have broad-reaching implications for companies and governments fending off sophisticated hackers and state-sponsored digital attacks.
Keep an eye on shares of auto makers today as they report their December sales figures. Already out this morning is Chrysler. It says its sales grew 6-percent in December. Truck sales offset a decline in car sales. Overall, Edmunds.com, which follows the auto sector, says they're expecting car makers to report a 5.2 percent increase in sales from December 2012.
And finally, LivingSocial plans to sell the roughly 14 million shares of Groupon (GRPN) it received when it sold its Korean e-commerce company Ticket Monster to Groupon. When the deal was announced back in November LivingSocial hinted that it would sell the shares, which amount to about 2 percent of Groupon's stock, to stabilize its own business.
For TheStreet, I'm Ruben Ramirez on Wall Street. Have a great weekend.
Written by Ruben Ramirez in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV