Here's One Way to Save Big on a Luxury Cruise
By Rick Kahler
NEW YORK (AdviceIQ) -- Ocean cruises often are a real bargain, but sometimes you get what you pay for, as we found out in the scary waters off Somalia. When does frugality intersect with insanity? Maybe about the time the pirates show up.
My wife and I are frugal. We are also fans of cruise vacations and just completed our 28th. With a little homework, thrifty vacationers discover that cruises represent a great value. Most cruise lines include food, lodging and transportation between ports, while you pay for items such as liquor, specialty dining and shore excursions.
We typically try to find a cruise on a major line that is discounted to around $75 a day per person. Depending on the itinerary, we may go as high as $125 a day. Our favorite cruise lines are Celebrity, Cunard and Holland America. Until our latest trip, high prices had kept us from trying some of the luxury cruise lines such as Azamara, Crystal and Oceania.
Luxury cruise lines typically charge $400 to $500 a day for inside cabins, and they rarely discount those prices by much. This does include many things (drinks, some services and tips) you pay extra for on other lines. Even with those extras, which I value at about $85 a day, a luxury cruise is still expensive.Kahler Financial Group in in Rapid City, S.D. AdviceIQ is a network of financial advisors that writes insightful articles for the public about investing and wealth management. All articles are edited by AdviceIQ's editor in chief, Larry Light. AdviceIQ certifies that all its advisors have no regulatory infractions. To subscribe to AdviceIQ's RSS feed for personal finance articles written by financial advisors and AdviceIQ editors, click here. Follow AdviceIQ on Twitter at @adviceiq.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV