MENLO PARK, Calif., Jan. 2, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Landec Corporation (Nasdaq:LNDC), a materials science Company that develops and markets innovative and patented products for healthy living applications in food and biomedical markets, reported results for fiscal 2014 second quarter and first six months ended November 24, 2013.
Summary of Second Quarter 2014 Results
- Revenues increased 5% to $120.0 million, with Apio, Inc.'s value-added vegetable business up 12% and Lifecore Biomedical, Inc. up 13% compared to the second quarter of last year.
- Net income, as expected and announced in the Company's press release on November 22, 2013, decreased to $3.5 million or $0.13 per share compared to the last year's second quarter of $5.0 million, after excluding the $3.9 million earn-out adjustment recorded during the second quarter of last year.
- Gross profit was negatively impacted by $4.4 million during the second quarter because of severe shortages of produce resulting in higher than projected costs for raw materials in Apio's value-added vegetable business.
- Cash and marketable securities totaled $5.8 million at quarter end after generating first half cash flow from operations of $4.3 million and after spending $7.7 million for capacity expansion and reducing debt by $6.1 million during the first half of fiscal 2014. The Company had $27.7 million available under its lines of credit as of November 24, 2013.
"During the second quarter and first half of fiscal 2014, our businesses continued to make progress advancing our future growth plans. Apio, our food subsidiary, continues to grow its new vegetable salad kit products featuring nutrient-dense superfoods. Lifecore, our biomaterials subsidiary, continues to experience increased sales in its aseptic filling business and is expanding capacity for anticipated future increases in demand," stated Gary Steele, Landec's Chairman and CEO."Landec's strategic partner, Windset Farms, a leading grower of hydroponic vegetables in which Landec has a 20% ownership interest, is now harvesting from all 64 acres of its newly constructed hydroponic greenhouses in Santa Maria, California, several months ahead of its original plan. This expansion has doubled Windset's capacity in California to 128 acres or 6 million square feet of greenhouse operations. The accelerated harvesting of the additional 64 acres has been incorporated into Windset's projections used to calculate the change in the fair market value of our investment in Windset for both the second quarter and first half of fiscal 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV