One under-$10 specialty biopharmaceutical player that's starting to trend within range of triggering a big breakout trade is Biodel (BIOD), which is focused on the development and commercialization of innovative treatments for diabetes. This stock has been hit hard by the bears over the last three months, with shares down by 24%.
If you take a look at the chart for Biodel, you'll notice that this stock is ripping higher here right off its 50-day moving average of $2.32 a share with strong upside volume. Volume on Thursday has so far registered over 750,000 shares, which is well above its three-month average action of 445,084 shares. This move is quickly pushing shares of BIOD within range of triggering a big breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in BIOD if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.52 to $2.60 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 445,084 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then BIOD will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels $3 to its 200-day moving average of $3.39 a share. Any high-volume move above $3.39 will then give BIOD a chance to tag $4 a share. Traders can look to buy BIOD off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support at $2.10 a share. One can also buy BIOD off strength once it starts to clear those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV