LEXINGTON, Ky., Jan. 2, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Windstream (Nasdaq:WIN) local telephone customers in the 270 area code will need to dial the area code in addition to the 7-digit telephone number when placing local calls starting Feb. 1. The requirement to use 10-digit dialing is due to the recently approved 364 area code that will cover the same geographic area as the 270 area code.
The change became necessary because the supply of new phone numbers using the 270 area code is being exhausted. Windstream notified customers about the move to 10-digit dialing through bill inserts last fall and again this month.
Customers who fail to dial all 10 digits for local calls will hear a recording telling them to re-dial beginning Feb. 1. Windstream can assign numbers with the 364 area code for new telephone lines or services beginning March 3.Some automatically dialed calls, such as life-safety systems, alarm and security systems and call forwarding settings, may require reprogramming to include the new dialing procedure. PBX equipment also may need to be reprogrammed. The switch to 10-digit dialing will not affect the cost of local phone calls. Long-distance calls are unaffected by the new area code. Callers need to dial 1 plus the area code and 7-digit telephone number whenever placing long-distance calls from the 270 or 364 area code. Emergency calls to 911 also remain the same and do not require the area code. About Windstream Windstream (Nasdaq:WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas. For more information, visit www.windstream.com .
CONTACT: Windstream Contact: Scott Morris, 501-748-5342 firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV