Additionally, F-Series will be the best-selling U.S. vehicle for the 32nd consecutive year: F-Series sales totaled 688,810 through November.
Kelley Blue Book estimated that full-year 2013 full-size truck sales gained 17% over 2012 levels and said compact crossovers were the industry's hottest segment, with sales up more than 20%. "In December, there will be a tight race for the 2013 sales leader, as the Honda (HMC) CR-V led the Ford Escape by fewer than 4,000 units going into the month," said Kelley Blue Book analyst Tim Fleming.
While 2013 sales were strong, Ford warned recently that net income will decline in 2014, due to costs associated with the product introductions.
Edmunds.com expects Ford to show a 6% sales gain in December, with GM (GM) up about 1%, Toyota up 4%, Chrysler up 8% and Honda up 6%. Overall industry gain should be 5.2%, the firm said."December has become one of the best times of the year to buy a new car, and there's good reason for that," said Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell in a prepared statement. "Smarter shoppers will especially zero in on leftover 2013 model year vehicles, which dealers will be more than happy to unload with big discounts and rock-bottom interest rates." -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV