The big news this Christmas was that the rush slowed down.
Flurry, a mobile measurement company, reports that Christmas app downloads were up only 11% from a year ago.
It's true that overall app sales were up 25% throughout December compared with 2012, but it adds up to a maturing market, at least in the Western Europe and English-speaking countries Flurry tracks.
rose 56% during December from a year earlier, which is even better than the 53% growth in downloads. These are global numbers. Figures were even more impressive if you look at developed countries. Apple's app revenue was up 97% in the U.S., and 161% in the U.K. Growth in Asia was negligible. If you're looking for growth in the Google Android side of the house, the word from Distimo is "freemium." These are apps you can download free, but which allow purchases within the app. Seven of the top 10 Google downloads last month were of this type. What all this tells me is that you should be buying Apple stock with both hands. Its price-to-earnings multiple, based on past earnings, remains around 14, and is less than half that for Google, now standing at 32. The chances for an upside surprise when Apple next reports earnings is high. (AMZN). (The replacement phablet I got my friend Christmas Eve was an Amazon Kindle, which cost less than replacing his battery at a store would have.) None of this means you should be selling Google shares. The company has more irons in the fire than just phones and tablets. But to me, the latest numbers show that Apple remains the play, and that patience in this case will be rewarded. At the time of publication, the author owned shares of Apple and Google. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV