#DigitalSkeptic: What to Look for at CES in 2014
4. The Bluetooth speaker ... and other bizarre niches
Here is the dirty secret about the 2014 CES: After attending two decades of consumer electronics trade shows in Las Vegas, the truth is that the vast majority -- and I mean the vast majority -- of vendors and products at these shows never, ever get even a glance from major media. The world's product lines are simply too vast, complex and overwhelming for even massive media teams to cover. Traditionally, this kind of product overload has been the kiss of death for any given small-run gadget. But no more. At least based on what I am seeing in new products at this year's shows, that hard and fast line of small-item obscurity will be deeply blurred. Now, seemingly every maker is coming to market with fascinating new ideas that target specific niches with real success. To wit: Take a look at the NYNE $129 Aqua Floating speaker. This device, from Oxnard, Calif.-based Boss Group, gives your iPhone a set of speakers that can work just about any environment. With products such as these out there, it will be that much harder for major consumer product makers to own vast swaths of any market.
What to plan for: Bull market or not, coming to market with an idea in 2014 will be tougher than ever.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV