NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The stock market begins 2014 as an inflating bubble in a setup that reminds me of the market dynamics at the end of 1999. With the Nasdaq at 4069 on Dec. 31, 1999, I said, 'I don't know how high the Nasdaq can go in 2000, but it will drop into the 3500 to 3000 range at some point during the year.'
The stock market begins 2014 with 86.4% of all stocks overvalued and with 61.2% overvalued by 20% or more. The five major equity averages have positive but overbought weekly chart profiles. My proprietary analytics begin the year with tangled bowl of spaghetti of monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annual value levels, pivots and risky levels. It seems like the stock market bubble can inflate further, but that there's significant downside risk to annual value levels when the bubbles pops. In this environment I am providing my buy-and-trade parameters for the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (DIA), the Nasdaq 100 Shares (QQQ) and the S&P 500 SPDRS (SPY).
Three of the five major equity averages ended 2013 setting new all-time intra-day highs at 16,588.25 on the Dow Industrial Average, 1849.44 the S&P 500 and 7410.25 the Dow transportation average. The Nasdaq set a new multi-year intra-day high at 4177.73. The Russell 2000 set its all-time intra-day high at 1167.96 on Dec. 26.
Last year was the first year of the past 20 years where the major equity averages did not test their 200-day simple moving averages with just two exceptions. The Nasdaq stayed above its 200-day all year in 1999 and Dow transports did the same in 1997. Over the last 20 years there have not been two consecutive years where the 200-day SMAs were not tested. My prediction for 2014 is that the major equity averages will their 200-day SMAs as a reversion to the mean. The 200-day SMAs begin 2014 at; 15,294 Dow Industrials, 1679.3 S&P 500, 3639 Nasdaq, 6564 Dow transports and 1034.53 Russell 2000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV