What America's Workforce Will Look Like in 2014
3. Expect more commitment to full-time employees.
The discipline that gets put around part-time and contract employees will make each full-time hire all the more important to companies, Hills says.
"Full-time employees are the ones more likely to focus on the strategic elements of the business," she says. "They are the ones you want to have there for the long haul -- you want them to commit to you, and you want to commit to them."
Full-time employees need not worry that contract employees will somehow "edge them out" in the marketplace, Hills says, because "the shift in the workforce is evolutionary, not revolutionary. If you want to find an organization that needs you, that wants you for the long haul, there are even more companies desperate to find quality, long-term players."Assuming the economy continues to improve, companies will not slack in hiring full-time employees, says David Silverstein, CEO of BMGI, an operational strategy consulting firm. "Well-run companies understand the need to develop a stable workforce over time," Silverstein says. "Companies need to create a positive culture to thrive. People who come and go on a short-term basis don't contribute to culture." 4. Expect more jobs to be available overall. "There is no doubt that the labor market is getting better; and that holds true across almost all segments -- full time, part time, etc.," says Brian Kropp, managing director at member-based advisory company CEB.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV