A bunch of used Blockbuster DVDs
There were about 300 Blockbuster Video locations left when DISH Network (DISH) announced in early November that it planned to liquidate the chain and hold onto Blockbuster only as a brand. With so few stores and a continued insistence on dedicating disproportionate amounts of floor space to new releases, Blockbuster's selection of leftovers probably wasn't all it could have been in its waning days.But as we've mentioned before, Blockbuster brought this on itself. Well before its 2010 bankruptcy and 2011 buyout by DISH -- and even before its takeover by Viacom what seems like a lifetime ago -- Blockbuster was a part of the everyday experience and a collective, tangible experience for many communities. But shrinking selection, increasingly ignorant staff, long lines and draconian late policies soured many Americans on not only the chain, but video stores themselves.
(AAPL) iTunes, Coinstar
(OUTR) and myriad other streaming, kiosk and on-demand options appeared, they were instantly preferable to both the Blockbuster experience and the hell of other people it created. As a result, Blockbuster customers and other shoppers ended a frugal holiday tradition by taking their last dive through Blockbuster's used DVD and Blu-ray in search of scratchy stocking stuffers -- their scavenging obscured by the window-sized clearance sale signs in Blockbuster's remaining storefronts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV