PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- We're going to go out on a limb and say that unless there's a birthday, wedding or anniversary coming up or you're having doubts about how the Super Bowl is going to look on your current television, you're done shopping for a while.
With the holidays and post-holiday sales over, the New Year's champagne drained and President's Day sales and Valentine's Day still far off, this is the time of year U.S. shoppers typically put the wallet away and settle in for some consumer hibernation. According to the Census Bureau, January and February are normally the softest spots in the annual retail calendar and typically trail the next weakest month, September, by $20 billion to $30 billion or so.
You're not shopping, and retailers are changing inventory and not holding any more big sales events. For a brief moment, everything is nice and quiet.It's also way too late for you to pick up some items that that either limped their way out of 2013 or didn't make it at all. Generally speaking, if it was worth buying, you would have bought it by now. But there are some items consumers tend to take for granted that either aren't coming around again or have a strong chance of reappearing in a highly altered form once they return.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV