BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- This is it. When the closing bell rings this afternoon, the books are closed for 2013. And what a year it's been.
In the last 12 months, the S&P 500 index has made its way 29.09% higher as of this morning's open, pushing up to new highs in the process. Indeed, investors will have something to celebrate when they pop the champagne at midnight tonight. But some magical switch isn't getting flipped just because the calendar is turning a page on Wednesday. So while most folks have already cut out early to ring in the new year, they're leaving money on the table.
>>5 'Dogs of the Dow' to Buy in 2014
That's why we're taking a closer look at five technical trades to take before the end of the year.
If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary.
Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time.
>>5 Stocks With Big Insider Buying
Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at five high-volume stocks to trade this week.
>>5 Dividend Stocks Ready to Pay You More in 2014
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV