NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Himax (HIMX - Get Report) rallied for the second day in a row on Tuesday, gaining 3.7% to $14.70, on news that Google (GOOG) is sending Google Glass Explorer invites to some Play Music All Access subscribers.
Some subscribers to Google's music streaming service recently received emails inviting them to buy the $1500 Google Glass. The Taiwanese semiconductor company Himax produces the microdisplay Google uses in Google Glass. More Google Glass units up for sale means more sales for Himax.
Himax gained 490% over the past year thanks in large part to Google and it's $1500 wearable device. The Internet search company owns a 6.3% stake in Himax.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Himax as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate HIMAX TECHNOLOGIES INC (HIMX) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Although HIMX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.27 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.42, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, HIMAX TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 470.88% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, HIMX should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- HIMAX TECHNOLOGIES INC has improved earnings per share by 16.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HIMAX TECHNOLOGIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.30 versus $0.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.35 versus $0.30).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HIMX Ratings Report