NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's the final day of trading for 2013 and TheStreet's Jonathan Marino and TheDeal's Jonathan Braude looked at how the international markets are faring, as well as some individual news in the U.S.
European and Asian markets were mostly flat on Tuesday, Braude said. The Nikkei will be celebrating its 57% return in 2013. This bested the equity returns in Germany and England, which were up 26% and 14%, respectively.
The Shanghai Composite was down 7% on the year, but China announced a significant change in its securities market: It would lift its freeze on the initial public offering market. The buildup in IPO could weigh on Chinese stocks, as money flows out of current positions and into the new securities, Braude added.
Turning to the U.S., Marino noted Hertz Global Holdings (HTZ), which announced a one-year shareholder rights plan to prevent outside investors from gaining control of the company. The move comes amid increased unusual trading activity within the stock. So far, investors have cheered the decision, with HTZ up 8% to $28 in Tuesday's session.
Marvell Technology Group (MRVL) is also being cheered by investors on Tuesday, he said. Shares are up roughly 5% to $14.60 after private equity firm KKR announced its stake in the company.Finally, Marino said TheStreet's Jim Cramer's has a new pick for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS -- Timken (TKR). Cramer likes TKR, which underperformed the broader markets in 2013, for, among other reasons, its potential share buyback plan, Marino concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV