The Affordable Care Act
The website may be working better now. But that's the least of my worries with this debacle. We will continue to hear stories like that of my parents' neighbor, whose private coverage was cancelled. A new ACA policy meant that the neighbor's doctor was out of network. So a bypass surgery scheduled for next week won't happen, despite a 90% blockage. Get used to these kinds of stories. Ultimately, with the employer mandate scheduled to go into effect on January 1, 2015, the ACA will unravel. It is an election year, and as more are affected by this trainwreck, the public will revolt. You can't keep your doctor (period); you can't keep your current insurance (period).
That's it for 2013. Have a safe and prosperous 2014.
At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the securities mentioned.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV