By David Russell of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Mattel (MAT) has been running, and the bulls came back to the toy maker Monday.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected heavy buying in the February 48 calls early for $1.10 to $1.25. Volume mounted at the strike and surpassed 6,400 by the end of the session, dwarfing previous open interest of just 75 contracts.
These calls lock in the price where a stock can be bought, letting investors cheaply position for a breakout with the shares near their all-time highs from May. The contracts can also generate significant leverage because of their low entry cost but will expire worthless if shares remain below $48 through mid-February.Mattel's shares rose 1.77% to $47.82 yesterday and are up 16% since bouncing at key support around $40 in early October. The last earnings report also beat expectations thanks to strong sales of Barbie and Monster High dolls. While the company hasn't yet announced the date of its next quarterly report, last year's calendar suggests it will occur by early February. So those February 48s could benefit from another strong release. Overall option volume was 16 times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for a bullish 90% of the total. Russell has no positions in MAT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV