Gold for February delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange fell $10.20 to settle at $1,203.80 an ounce. The gold price was as high as $1,216.10 and as low as $1,200.20 an ounce, while the spot price was down $10.58, or 0.87%.
"Last minute end of year sellers appeared in gold, citing currencies, [and] interest rates due to recovering economics as headwinds," George Gero, precious metals strategist at RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a note.
The spot price of gold has fallen more than 27% in 2013, a year that witnessed a well-documented crash in mid-April. The price continued to lose value through December, when the Federal Reserve announced it would scale back its economic stimulus program.The price of gold has repeatedly tested $1,200 an ounce -- a level technical strategists consider a key point of support that, if broken, could open the door to new multi-year lows. Silver prices for March delivery decreased 43 cents to close at $19.62 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was off 0.42% to $80. Gold mining stocks were mostly lower on Monday, in-line with gold futures. Shares of Newmont Mining (NEM) were down 1.8% to $23.16. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was down 0.96% to $116, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was off 1% to $11.66. The GLD is one of the most commonly followed gold-backed ETFs and has played a role in significantly shifting so-called paper gold prices in 2013. The ETF is down more than 28% year-to-date. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV